How do we live with “The Day” Approaching?
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
“This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”
Then he adds:
“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.”
And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Let us APPROACH (10:22) – This is our life of Prayer, Intercession, and Intimacy with God.
- You can. The door is open (10:11-15).
- You may because you are invited into covenant (10:16-18)
- You must because you need it and the world needs you.
Let us HOLD FAST (10:23) – This is our stand! This is our witness and our open confession of faith.
- Stand for hope.
- Bear witness to the world.
- Act in love and goodness (10:24).
Let us CONSIDER HOW TO PROVOKE (10:24-25) – This is fellowship and encouragement as we encourage love and good deeds in our brothers and sisters. Our response to Christ’s coming, whenever it might be is to encourage one another
- P – It is POSITIVE (Not a negative threat, but a positive affirmation).
- R – It is REDEMPTIVE (We are forgiven people).
- O – It is OPPORTINISTIC (“Consider how to … ). κατανοῶμεν
- V – It is VISIONARY (“… as you see the Day approaching …)
- O – It is about ONE ANOTHER – We cannot do this alone. παρακαλοῦντες
- K – It is KENETIC – forces producing motion or change. παροξυσμὸν is stirring up
- E – ENCOURAGE - παρακαλοῦντες - Encouraging one another.