How to Pray in Time of War
June 06, 2006
Those of us who pray and, specifically, those of us who pray publically, are often caught in a theological and ethical crisis when confronted with certain issues. We are called to pray the prayers of the people, but also called to attempt to ascertain the general wil of God in prayer. How do we pray when there is a war between two groups of people whom God loves?
Here are some wandering thoughts I have gathered on the matter:
- Pray for policy makers, military commanders, and strategists that they will be guided by God and will be wise and truthful.
- Pray for our enemies that God will bless them. This is a non-negotiable command from Jesus.
- Pray that we will have our understanding of what God's blessing is tempered by God and accept His definition of His blessings to us.
- Pray for the sergeants and chiefs that they will be able to maintain discipline and morale.
- Pray for the soldiers, sailors, and airmen that they will be strengthened by God's grace and protected from harm—physical and emotional..
- Pray for a minimum number of casualties on all sides.
- Pray for the civilian populations that they will be protected from harm, hunger, and despair..
- Pray for righteousness, justice, and peace.
- Pray that many will turn to God, in a global movement of seeking and awakening that will turn the hearts of people toward one another as well.
- Pray that terrorists will voluntarily submit themselves before the bar of divine mercy and human justice.
- Pray that they and others will be saved from sin, anger, and bitterness - this is what blessing ultimately means.
- Pray for the success of every righteous cause.
- Pray for an end to terrorism and injustice.
- Pray for the will of God to be done in every dimension of human affairs and for His Kingdom to come on earth as it is in Heaven.
- Pray for repentance and forgiveness regarding our individual and corporate offenses against God and other human beings.
- Pray for oppressed people wherever they are to be liberated and that will be dealt with in a just and merciful manner.
- Pray for comfort and healing for victims of terrorism and war and for their families.
- Pray for families that are sending their sons and daughters to war.
- Pray that we will hear whatever God may be saying to us in this hour and will comply with His will.
- Pray that we will choose to be on God’s side rather asking Him to be on our side.
- Pray for a new era of understanding, cooperation, and justice in the world.